Old 17-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default I know its been said, but it bears repeating "Don't Use Copper"

I think the "Don't use copper pipe" warnings may be a typical case of "in
theory" and "I heard once" information that often gets sent around fish
groups because it just sounds "right". I'd argue that what did ornamental
ponds and fish stores use before PVC pipe existed? Copper of course and they
were all fine.

Sam

"Cla" wrote in message
om...
Years ago I took a fish health course at Dr. Gratjeck(sp?) and in the
class there was a real horror story about an exotic fish store that
had major fish kill because someone attached a copper line to the
filter system. I do not rember the chemical reaction that caused the
toxic condition, but I have always been very cautious about copper
ever since.

Cla

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

I just replumbed my entire house with copper, and I have some left over.

am thinking about building a DIY filter for my aquarium, just for fun.

Any
thoughts on the safety of using copper in an aquaria environment? I

figure
it safe for us to drink, it should be safe in the tank or pond for that
matter.

Any thoughts?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com