Old 18-02-2004, 04:05 AM
Bobbo

Default Sandburs... Ouch !

Thank you DT for that great info on sandburs. Sounds like I need
to do the msma real soon then try to get my lawn really healthy so I can
weed-out/choke them burs.

"dt" wrote in message
deepeddygirl wrote:

Aren't those called Johnson grass? I've heard the only way to kill them
is to spray them with Roundup right about the time you put wildflowers
out - Nov/Dec.

Bobbo wrote:

Thanks for that info... They are the hard-pointy type.
My whole lawn is this, so there's no real grass to damage.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../grassbur.html

The Aggies seem to use grassbur and sandbur to mean the same thing.
http://tinyurl.com/3e6g5
Johnson grass is definitely different; it can get 5-6' tall, for one
thing. Doesn't have stickers, either. http://tinyurl.com/2f9b7

Of course, for us "organic" types, pulling the damn things is the only
way to go. Get 'em while they're still green, the stickers don't stick
as bad, and of course it keeps 'em from going to seed, so you have fewer
next year.

DT