Old 18-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Dwayne

Default Pruning a neglected apple tree

I've been told that you aren't supposed to remove more than 1/3 of the tree
per year during pruning. Take some of the uprights, dead wood, and the ones
growing down. In addition, branches that if left alone, will rub on another
branch that you want to keep, remove or cut back.

Dwayne

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(simy1) wrote in message

. com...

While I mostly agree with Sherwin, in case you end up liking the
apples from the tree, there are tools to harvest tall trees. Basically
a very long pole with a mechanical hand at the top. Also, if they shot
straight up, this thing could be a pear tree.

Well, I don't like pears, anyways...

I might just cut the branches going straight up and hope that the
lateral branches strengthen rather than new straight up branches
sprouting. I guess I will not do much beyond that yet...

Brian