Old 18-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Maqua

Default UGH! Snails!

Claire said:

I like my snails :-/ and very little damage to my plants.

I like my snails too. Frankly, I find them about as interesting as
the fish and the plants. And I don't know how wise this is, but I've
used my snails in the same way a miner would use a canary in a mine
shaft. When snails start disappearing, somethings amok. Thankfully
I've never experienced a massive drop in snail population. It stays
consistent.

I've got ramshorns and Malaysian Trumpets as well, both species came
as ride-alongs with plants I purchased a long, long time ago. I'd
guess I have about 8-10 years worth of snails...and it's sometimes a
pain to get the shells off the gravel, but in the long run it's just
another part of the hobby I've come to terms with.

I've got apple snails, ramshorns and Malaysian Trumpet Snails in a small
tank, while I'm waiting for my 42 us gallon to cycle. and a random snail in
the large tank that hitched in on a plant and is now living through
horrendous fishless cycling conditions in the tank (ammonia now 0, nitrite
5.0 (max test will read))

I had a mystery snail in the tank I named "Big Ed the
Enforcer"...unfortunatley there wasn't enough to go around for
everyone and Big Ed bit the big one...the ramshorn mafioso took out a
hit on him.

Don't think I could bring myself to kill a snail, even if it were doing
damage (however having a fish that would is another matter, but at least
then it's food). I really am a wuss.

Me either. Fact is I regard the life that lives in my tank as guests
and try to treat them with the same respect as say..Aunty Mona. :O)
I've noticed that the cory's try to pick the snails out of the shells
with little success, but good comedy anyway.

I don't think I'd feed them to Aunty Mona either.

Cheers!
Pete aka Maqua