Old 18-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Neil Jones

Default Fruit trees

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Nick Wagg
writes
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Spider
writes
Hi John,
Apple trees are usually pruned in winter. If you prune now, you

will be
pruning out flowering buds (this year's fruit).

Erm ... It's February 17th. What is the difference between February

17th
and winter?

Well, the birds, frogs and plants seem to think it's already Spring.

Going back to the original post - apple trees aren't yet shooting (at
least in Yorkshire) and I certainly would be quite happy about pruning
now. It is easy to see the difference between last year's growth and
older growth with fruiting spurs. Anything you prune will be removing
potential future fruiting spurs, but one fruiting spurs develop, they
continue to flower and fruit year after year, so you are not

decreasing
the amount of fruit by removing existing or potential new spurs.
--

Also, restricted forms are pruned in summer, aren't they? And judging by
the amount of thinning I need to do on my old apple tree, losing even

Neil