Old 18-02-2004, 12:47 PM
mlv

Default Hedge Problem

An indignant Janet Baraclough threw down her trowel, stormed out of the
potting shed and wrote:

As the person who gave that advice in a different context,
I resent the implication that it was at fault.

And who exactly has implied that your advice was at fault? I thought your
reply was very helpful and I have taken your 'bite the bullet' option.

Back then, your header suggested you wanted to POLLARD
a TREE, and you made no mention of a hedge.

That's right, I did want to POLLARD a TREE (no need to shout!). The fact
that the tree was originally planted as part of a beech hedge by previous
occupiers of the property and never trimmed was totally irrelevant to my
question at that time. The problem then was this large (triple-trunked)
BEECH TREE, I mean beech tree, that had got out of hand.

In effect my approx. 7 metre long beech hedge had become one large and two
small beech trees, with the rest of the hedge killed off by these three
dominant trees.

Now I've cut the three trees down, I want to reinstate the hedge, hence my
latest post which now mentions hedges and not POLLARDING, because POLLARDING
is now irrelevant to the question.

Had you felled the trunks to 6", and let them bush up as
I described, you would have a good new beech hedge by now.

Janet.

Not that it matters, but I see no mention of cutting back to 6" in your
original post.

Now, why don't you cut short the self-reproach and answer my conifer
question? ;-)
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' before firing off your reply-