Old 18-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Rob Halgren

Default feeding schedule

Frank wrote:

Dear Experts,

There are no 'experts'. A large portion of orchid growing is still
(fortunately) an art, more than a science. You get to be an expert
when you kill fewer plants than your neighbor. Even 'experts' don't
know all the answers, and any that say they do are probably not the ones
you want to listen to.

Which is the most accurate book that I should follow? I'm in SF bay
area.

No way to tell. I suggest that you experiment (play!) to determine
what works best for you. Regardless of what books say, what works for
you is the right way. Under some conditions one book may be right,
under other conditions the other might have a more accurate answer.
Chances are good that you will have to mix and match. That doesn't
answer your question... I'd suggest that you go to a local orchid
society meeting, and ask your questions there. That isn't meant to be
in any way snippy. The people who grow in the same conditions you do
(the Bay area has a lot of different climates) will be best able to give
you advice that works for you. Besides, you will come home with a
trunk full of free plants, most likely. I'm sure there are plenty of
people here on the newsgroup from your area as well, so perhaps you will
get some more informative responses than mine.

For what it is worth, I feed continuously at a low rate. Blooms or
no blooms. It works for me and the species I grow. It works largely
because I'm too lazy to stick to elaborate schedules.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit