Old 18-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Ray Drouillard

Default Pruning a neglected apple tree

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
I recently moved into a new house with what I believe is an apple

tree. It
looks like the two major trunks were cut back at 7 foot a few years

ago, but
since then a number of major branches have started from there and shot
straight up an additional 10 or more feet. I am reluctant to cut them

off
because they are now a big part of the tree, but I certainly will not

be
climbing that high to get the fruit!

I also don't want to get too radical in case I misidentified the

tree...

Brian

I asked a similar question in an email list. I got a reply from someone
who resurrected some old neglected trees over a span of three years.

Essentially, you start by knocking off all the branches that go straight
up or straight down. Also, keep the new growth that goes straight up
pruned off.

Send email to ray drou at quixnet dot net and I'll see if I can get
permission to forward it to you.

Ray Drouillard