Old 19-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Christopher Hamel

Default Tainted Soil

(Christopher Hamel) wrote in message . com...

but my next question is regarding the soil. Is it tainted, or can it
be salvaged? It's good stuff, too.

Thanks to all for the great feedback. It sounds like cinder blocks
may be the way to go... cheap and permanent. I imagine if it's done
right, it can also retain some of the asthetic appeal I am hoping for,
but I'm more interested in the cheap and permanent aspects.

We have clay soil (Fort Worth, TX) that's about as hard as cinder
blocks, so my garden soil is raised a good 8 inches off the ground...
doesn't really lend itself to a borderless bed. Not only that, but
the lawn is Bermudagrass, and without a barrier it will consume the
entire garden in a month's time.

I do have four little ones (my oldest is six; yes, my wife is a
saint), and they are becoming increasingly interested in the garden so
this may be a good time to make the switch from the treated lumber to
something else.

Thanks again for the advice.
Chris