Old 19-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Ciment Fondu

Hi Kevin. You graciously write,
Don't forget to add the magic ingredient - a
proportion of Ordinary Cement, or the rapid
set is not achieved

When my bonsai club created a ciment fondue slabs, they set for at least 24
hours. We might well have used Portland cement-- I would guess that we did.
Is there advantage to rapid-setting other than being "rapid?" Perhaps 24
hour setting is rapid though it would seem painfully slow for curing our
thin pours.

It was a great club project for team building. Every detail had its
importance. The product was awesome-- really satisfying. Too good for my
poor bonsai. I've been enjoying the slab for years as a garden element
which has wonderful seasons. Lichen love it!

The sand we used was carefully selected-- sharp & relatively fine, as I
recall. That seemed IMPORTANT at the time as well as not adding too much
water.

I'd jump at the opportunity to create another.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++