Old 19-02-2004, 07:43 PM
WiGard

Default The first crocuses!!!

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:48:05 -0500, madgardener wrote:

I decided with temperatures predicted to be near 60o F today and it
already being 61o F, I needed to go back outside and sweep and clean the
dog run, pull out some more vinca and begin to assess the spring showings.
Not that there weren't showings already, but as I was sweeping the fallen
soil and leaves and debris westward, noticing that there were smiling
clumps of vinca grinning out at me from between the landscape timbers that
I have decided to replace with an idea I saw I think in Lee Valley garden
tools. A brace of sorts that holds stepping stones verticle that you
attach a top piece to make really decent raised sides on a garden box.

Suddenly a soft mother of pearl blue caught my eye. Blue?? I stopped and
focased on where I saw it and YES!!!! The first crocus!!! WOO HOO!!!!!
This excited me to the point of stopping my sweeping and I ran over to the
Colorado bed and sure enough, there was another clump of grassy leaves and
a YELLOW one. ALRIGHT!! Although it seems a bit late for my crocuses to
be just beginning, I am pleased beyond description. And add to that the
fact that I with the warm temperatures today, my Cornelian Cherry tree
will burst open today. GBSEG Spring is on it's way here in Eastern
Tennessee!!!

madgardener up on the sunny ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking
English Mountain, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Here in the land of ice and snow crocuses have been abloom for some time
now. They began to appear in the supermarkets weeks ago.