Old 19-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Tanya

Default phalaenopses lack of leaves

hello,
thank you very much for replying and for the advice
i have both plants' photos he
http://pws.prserv.net/cainet.tjtmd/phalLeafs.html
(1 photo looks yellowish however they are not yellow the color in the other 3 is
accurate)

there is 1 place (an orchid shop) which i can call........

my main concern is that the 2-leaved one is starting to grow a spike and i want
it to grow leaves too.-- i.e. not sure whether flowering would be too much for
the plant
(as i mentioned i have used VERY LITTLE food and they are in sphagnum (and i
water w/ distilled water) so i wonder whether adding a balanced or high N food
would encourage leaf growth?)
(i have 3 others without lights, in another area of the house and they are not
growing anything but roots however their leaves are long (the newest leaves))
thanks so much!
sincerely
Tanya

J Fortuna wrote:

Tanya,

I was wondering if this is a case where a picture would be helpful. If we
saw a picture of this plant maybe we could better guess what might be wrong
(whether it looks healthy or sickly). Could you post a picture either to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids or if you don't have access to that, post to a
Web site and then post a link to it here?

Also in my experience local plant nursery staff are sometimes very
knowledgeable, so if you take your plant to a plant nursery near you that
sells orchids, they might be able to better advise you while they are
actually looking at the plant. I have not approached my local orchid society
yet, but from what I hear that is a wonderful way to get advice about ones
plants and growing habits.

The reason why I am advising you to take this plant to someone in your area
is because sometimes it is much harder to tell what might be wrong with a
plant over a newsgroup, but if only someone had a chance to look it over
carefully, they might be able to get a much better idea of what could be
going on here.

Joanna

"Tanya" wrote in message
Rob Halgren wrote:

Tanya wrote:

thanks, Rob
the room they are in is 70 degrees (minimum)
both have root growth (the 1.25 leaved has a lot of root growth plus it

is
growing a spike which is IMHO is a reason for concern (i don't know

whether
the 1.25 leaves are sufficient for spiking?))
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya

Mystery to me then. It may be full size, if it is a mini. Do you know
what the crosses are?

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

many thanks for the reply
i have no idea what the crosses are (they are species i.e. the ones sold

in
grocery stores (HOWEVER they are VERY valuable to me)
the 0.25 inch leaves are abnormal for the plants unless they mutate ;-)
what about possibly food? i use the bloom food V.E.R.Y. dilute and

distilled H2O
perhaps i should give them something else -- i have miracle gro (but it's
acidic) do you think that would be ok? -- they are in sphagnum moss...
very grateful for the response!
sincerely
Tanya