Old 19-02-2004, 09:22 PM
BenignVanilla

Default To Pump or Not To Pump

"Robert Ramirez" wrote in message
Hi All,

As a fairly new ponder (first winter) I have wondered all winter long

(Texas
winter mind you) if I'm even supposed to be running the pump and fountain
during this season.

I have a bottom drain, so I do not run my pump. I slightly buy into the idea
of not circulating the colder top water with my warmer bottom water. Also,
my VF is very shallow, so I am not sure I could even make this work if I
wanted to. On the other hand, my neighbor runs his pump all year long to
keep a hole in the ice. So he has circulation of his water layers, and as
far as I know has never lost a pond full of fish even in some of our past
harsh winter. BTW, I am in MD. Near Baltimore. I guess zone 6.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com