Old 19-02-2004, 09:32 PM
paghat

Default Hello, new here and question about Tulips

In article , "madgardener" wrote:

I'd look into Dutch Garden's variety of tulips in their late summer release
of their fall catalog and see what they recommend for reliable returns and
invest in a few of those when fall tulips become available. Also invest in
some true perennial spring bulbs....Pushkinnia, Squill, Crocus, Wind
flowers, both the anemone and De Caine varieties. Aconite is a nice golden
early spring bulbil. Little alliums and narcissus in all sorts of sizes and
timings are nice and welcome springtime. Don't forget the woods hyacinths,
trout lilies, Cammasia's for late summer blue's, little Frittleria's for
hot, sunny spots where you can sit and admire their delicate flowers that
are petite. (the little checkered ones are so cute!)

The list is immense and long. But you get my drift.

Pun! Pun!

If you want late winter
flowers, go ahead and start some bulbs for the house if you have some. I
always put my bulbs in the fridge drawer for chilling (no fresh fruit in
there as the gas kills the blossom!) Then you can plant them after they've
given you smiles into your new gardens. They'll return a bit later next
year but most will return for you never the less. Good luck in your
endeavors and again, welcome to the newsgroup! Keep us informed to how your
garden is doing. It's always nice to hear from someone else.

madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"