Old 19-02-2004, 10:41 PM
dave weil

Default Last frost

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:44:06 -0600, kate
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:12:24 GMT, escapee
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:16:38 GMT, Crystal opined:

When is the average last frost where you are? When I lived in
Portland, everyone believed that the last frost was always on Tax
Day, April 15! Is this a saying anywhere else? Now I live in
Northern California, where there's never any frost. Not in my
corner of it, at least.

Dreaming of springtime,
Crystal Bucher

Average last frost date in my region is March 6, but I don't ever trust that as
anything can happen. We safely go with March 15-20. For sure by March 30.

I think I read that here in Nashville (Zone 6b), last frost date is
usually considered either 7 or 12 April. For the last couple of years,
I don't remember a frost in April at all. But you never know about
these things. Growing up in Memphis, we got the largest snowfall in
recorded history on April 18th (I think). It was 18 inches back around
'68. I'm sure Nashville got plastered as well. It was a funny thing.
Just this week, we got 7 inches of snow just a hour SOUTH of here.
Nashville got nary a flake.

What hurts us is the late March hard frost that we always seem to get.
It occurs right at the peak of marigold bloomings. Usually screws
things up good, especially since mid-March is usually quite warm.
That's why I usually wait until mid-April to do my serious spring
pruning.

Marigold bloomings in March? When do you plant your marigolds?

Oooops, I didn't mean marigolds. Sorry. Brain lockup. I meant
narcissus. I don't know why I occasionally mix up the names.

Sorry!

Farmers Almanac lists Nashville's last frost date as April 5, but my
neighbors don't put their tomatoes in until April 25. I'm usually a dare
devil and put them in around April 15.

It's beautiful here today. I hoed around the garlic (transplanting some
of the chickweed from my neighbor's garden to mine) while he tilled. A
very pleasant hour and probably more productive than my removing moss
for my garden and transplanting it to the mossy front yard.

Kate