Old 19-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Tom Bennett

Default clematis ahead of itself.

"Sacha" wrote Wondering if you and Chris have C.rehederiana - wonderful
clematis, IMO.

I did grow it once, Sacha, but that was quite a few years ago. I'm not
sure I had the best available clone, as there wasn't much scent. It was a
good do-er and flowered well, but I think it needs more space than I had,
then and now.

My favourites are still the viticellas, with C. viticella 'Minuet' and C.
'Mme Julia Correvon' vying for top place. C. campaniflora (a fairly close
relative) has a charm of its own and is rather unsung too.

I'm about to rebuild my collection and I'm fortunate that a local nursery
sells small plants at £2.99 ea. They stock some fairly choice varieties
too (it makes me wonder if they quite know what they are selling) and I
came across C. 'Etoile Rose', one of the texensis tribe, the other day.
Last year I got another one, 'Gravetye Beauty', which is doing very well.

Although the plants are little more than liners, they're only a year
behind the 2 litre specimens which, around here, can retail for £10 or
more.

- Tom.
Blackmore, SW Essex.