Old 19-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Chris Boulby

Default clematis ahead of itself.

In message , Sacha
writes
Tom Bennett19/2/04 2:16
$1dbvnq$1 @ID-154146.news.uni-berlin.
de

"Chris Boulby" wrote
snip
I'm nuts about clematis though, even though many of the large flowered
hybrids struggle to do well here. The species love my slightly acid,
well drained, sandy soil.

Yes, I fell in love with them many years ago and, at one time, I had
dozens packed into a very small north-eastern garden.

snip

Wondering if you and Chris have C.rehederiana - wonderful clematis, IMO.

Funny you should ask, Sacha, I got seed from the Clematis Society last
spring at an HPS meeting in Yorkshire and have just sown it. Fingers
crossed. Its one I've always wanted to grow, so now I'm waiting
patiently.

Another species I grow that does well for me again and again, in not
very auspicious surroundings - growing up a poor support next to the
concrete washing line post - is C. x eriostemon 'Hendersonii'. It gets
full blast of our horrid winds each year, but it is prolific and its
flowers never fail to impress. Photos of them against a blue sky look
great! Must try taking cuttings from that one this year.

And as Tom has said in his post, C. viticella varieties are cracking
plants too. I have C. v. alba luxurians growing up a gum tree with good
success. And C. v. 'Minuet' was a spectacular success last year. I
don't bother to trim either of these as I want them to climb tall.
There is hardly any dieback on them here either, so they are starting to
bulk up. If they take over the gum tree and trellis respectively I
shall be very pleased.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias