Old 19-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Rachel Sullivan

Default clematis ahead of itself.

In article , Tom Bennett
writes

snip

My favourites are still the viticellas, with C. viticella 'Minuet' and C.
'Mme Julia Correvon' vying for top place. C. campaniflora (a fairly close
relative) has a charm of its own and is rather unsung too.

One of my all time favourites is vit. Betty Corning because it's so
sweetly fragrant - the only perfumed viticella there is (I think).

Lots of new viticella types/late flowering hybrids coming from Estonia
and similarly cold places too. All wilt resistant (I hesitate to say
'proof') and prolific in flower.

I'm about to rebuild my collection and I'm fortunate that a local nursery
sells small plants at £2.99 ea. They stock some fairly choice varieties
too (it makes me wonder if they quite know what they are selling) and I
came across C. 'Etoile Rose', one of the texensis tribe, the other day.
Last year I got another one, 'Gravetye Beauty', which is doing very well.

I see to my dismay that Etoile Rose has now been reclassified out of
texensis and into viticella. So has 'Pagoda'. Campaniflora is now
listed in Victoria Matthews' 'Clematis Register and Checklist' as
viticella subsp. campaniflora, and what I used to call campaniflora
'Lisboa' is now viticella 'Lisboa'. And there's lots more.

I'm re-doing the web-site and getting in a terrible muddle ...

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site