Old 20-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Ivan McDonagh

Default Is organic gardening viable?

Frogleg wrote in
:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:32:45 +1100, Terry Collins
wrote:

I don't understand why 'artificial' fertilizers have such vociferous
opponents. AFAIK, plants don't care whether their nitrogen and
phosphorous comes from cowpats or granules.

That was actually one of the points made in the book that I referenced
in the original post. The way the author described it makes good sense
to me.

The previous poster is looking at real-life issues, and doubtless
already uses all the 'organic' processes he can manage.

I do and I'm looking for ways to increase that still further.

*His*
cost/benefit analysis appears to have come down on the side of
manufactured fertilizer. Makes sense to me.

It seems that way at the moment based on the responses I've had.

He's not talking about
wholesale DDT spraying, or lowering the water table to keep his
golfcourse green.

No, definitely not!

The *huge* amount of grass clippings, equally huge amounts of chook poo
and, possibly, a smaller amount of clay are all at least partly focused
on reducing water requirements as much as possible.

And my position on *no* factory pesticides remains firm - increased
productivity through factory fertilisers is one thing but I haven't seen
a cogent argument yet as to why a well managed, mixed crop would need a
pesticide.

Thanks to all who responded.

Ivan.