Old 20-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default clematis ahead of itself.

"Rachel Sullivan" wrote in message
In article , Tom Bennett
writes

snip

My favourites are still the viticellas, with C. viticella 'Minuet' and C.
'Mme Julia Correvon' vying for top place. C. campaniflora (a fairly

close
relative) has a charm of its own and is rather unsung too.

One of my all time favourites is vit. Betty Corning because it's so
sweetly fragrant - the only perfumed viticella there is (I think).

Alba-Luxurians is also scented but not as strongly

I see to my dismay that Etoile Rose has now been reclassified out of
texensis and into viticella. So has 'Pagoda'. Campaniflora is now
listed in Victoria Matthews' 'Clematis Register and Checklist' as
viticella subsp. campaniflora, and what I used to call campaniflora
'Lisboa' is now viticella 'Lisboa'. And there's lots more.

I could have wished they had given Pagoda and Etoile Rose to some other
collection! they are very pretty and grow well - but Mildew, just awful
:~(

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk