Old 20-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Taxonomy question

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:49:55 +0000, Sacha wrote:

The copy of the RHS encyclopedia I'm looking at now says:
"Polygonumm bistorta 'Superbum'. The picture is of a 'vigorous,
clump-forming perennial that from arly to late summer produces spikes of
soft pink flowers above oval leaves.' It grows to about 2.5' and spreads to
about 2'. This copy was published in 1989.
The 1999 version says "Persicaria bistorta syn. Polygonum bistorta 'Superba'
and to me, the two pics look identical. HTH

I wonder if the code governing the nomenclature of *cultivated*
plants demands that old Latin-form cultivar names be in
grammatical agreement with the botanical name?

It may be that altering "Superbum" to "Superba" is a
falsification.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada