Old 21-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Plum tree queries

The message m
from Tiger303 contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
*
Leave it for this year and see if it needs any.

thanks jaques,

i'm assuming i'll know it won't need feeding as the tree will be full
of plums come summer?

About right. You'll improve its yield (probably) by killing the grass
under it, say, to what would be its shadow with the sun dead above it.

I have read somewhere that you can cover this space with green manure to
good effect, but i can't remember what time of year you should do it.

My *GUESS* would be, after it has cropped, BICBW.

a friend who had a plum tree in his garden as a child said his tree
always followed a two year cycle. one year it had a bumper crop of
plums, the next only a few, and then a bumper crop, and so on........

reading i heard this may b due to pollination of flowers as they flower
early when the bees aren't out properly to pollinate.

More likely to be a slightly 'iffy' memory and the flowers (or very
young set fruit) were zapped by frost.

My mother had a Victoria plum in a very sheltered position, and nearly
every year it was laden so that the ends of its branches rested on the
ground. We sometimes had to prop-up the most crowded ones.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/