Old 07-02-2003, 01:28 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default Fertilizer Preferences

Wendy,

What I mean is that you'll find no elemental nitrogen, phosphorus pentoxide
or potassium oxide in the box or bottle. Instead, you're likely to find
more complex chemical compounds.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks for the explanation Ray. Not sure what you mean about "even though
none of them is in the package as those chemical species"?
"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message
| For some reason, the N-P-K numbers on a fertilizer label are expressed

as
| weight percent N, P2O5 and K2O, even though none of them really is in

the
| package as those chemical species.
|
| Gravimetrically, N = 100% N, P2O5 = 44% P, and K2O = 83% K, so a

10-10-10
| fertilizer might be looked at as 10 - 4.4 - 8.3.
|
| --
|
| Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
| http://www.firstrays.com
| Secure Online Ordering & Lots of Free Info!
|

| "Wendy" wrote in message
| Always an interesting topic. I remember reading somewhere that
fertilizer
| with the
| numbers 15-15-15 or 20-20-20 are not balanced?
| Why not? Are the numbers not a % of the amount of N, P & K
| Cheers Wendy
|
| "Eric Muehlbauer" wrote in message
| | I always use a high N formula, on bark, coconut husk chips, even
| | sphagnum.....with no loss of blooms (although I sometimes switch to

| | high P bloom formula as bloom season approaches). I use Dynagro,
Jerry's
| | Grow for a few plants (catt's and phrags). Since N is used at a

faster
| | rate by plants, there is really no need for a balanced formula...you
are
| | just getting excess P and K wasting away or building up as the N

gets
| | used up. Although I do sometimes use bloom boosters, I believe that
the
| | same effect can be achieved by reducing or stopping the fertilizing
| | entirely, as I do for some paphs in the winter. Take care, Eric
| Muehlbauer
| |