Old 21-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] indoor lighting and bonsai

I've seen Jack's set-up, and it is really nice. It's nothing *I* could
set up in my house. I have a uncle-in-law who built a conservatory for
his orchids that would be equally good for junipers, but again, he owns
the house. It would be hard to rig up anything good in an apartment, and I
sense that most people who want to keep outdoor species inside do so
because they have no choice.

Nina

I was going to keep out of this, since I have no experience with growing
juniper indoors, but your reference to Jack Wikle's article prompted me
to respond. It can be done, but it's not necessarily easy. Jack is well
known for his success with indoor bonsai, including species that "can't"
be grown indoors. The same tree can also be seen on p. 87 of Outstanding
American Bonsai, published in 1989. I can personally attest that this
tree is still alive and well, as I've seen it within the last year or
so. I wouldn't recommend this to a beginner, however. Jack, while
justifiably proud of his work, is a refreshingly humble man, and will
freely admit to killing his share of trees while climbing the learning
curve.

Jay

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++