Old 21-02-2004, 05:12 PM
sneff

Default Any tips? - Preparing plants for shows

I finally joined an orchid society. I have been keen to do so for ages, but
none close to me had their meetings on a night that I wasn't working. Last
month I managed to beg and swap Wednesday nights off, so I am now the newest
member of the North Shore Orchid Society of Sydney.

I am considering bringing along a couple of plants for novice class benching
at the next meeting in 10 days time. A Neof. falcata blooming for 4 days now
(will it last another 10?) and a Pholidota imbricata, if the two snakes
spiralling off the pseudobulbs for a month now ever turn into inflorescences
(how long does this species take to finally open?)

Most importantly, I was hoping some of you veteran exhibitors could give me
a few tips for successful and polite benching. I have seen tips like
cleaning foliage with a relatively simple liquid (was it milk?) What other
tips for making sure a plant scrubs up to its best.

Also, I imagine taking a pest ridden plant in for judging is a gaffe even
bigger than bringing an incontinent canine to a croquet match - and
forgetting the baggies. I'm assuming (hoping) that most of my plants are
relatively pest, disease and fungus free, but there is a reason that I'm
planning on showing in the novice classes - I *am* novice, and may well have
missed what is an obvious pest to an experienced eye. What extra care should
I take (flushing, spraying with pesticides or an anti-fungal etc)
beforehand. And still on this point, is it people's experience that a judge
or marshal will inspect the plant(s) before allowing them on the bench, or
are these things left up to the vigilance of individual members?

Thanks kindly,
Best, Matthew