Old 21-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Sylvia Kay

Default new orchid lover in need of a little help

I just bought two new orchids at a local conservatory, they were
having an excellent orchid show. I got my plants on sale from the
gift shop because they were done blooming for the time being. So i now
have one odontobrassia (kenneth bivens) and a den phal (emma white).
i hope they survive and bloom for me !!

I just have a few questions i was hoping for some help with.

First off these plants are from hawaii and are exclusively potted in
lava.
should they have a more mixed potting medium? I was thinking about
moving them from their plastic homes into terra cotta pots with maybe
some kind of moss or some coconut husk (keeping with the hawiian theme
of course! ) Any thoughts on this? i have no idea what i am doing.

Also what kind of fertilizer would both plants like? i've been
reading about this and i'm quite confused. 20-20-20? urea free? what
works with lava?
eek ! help please.

for now is it okay to use a very weak dose of my regular plant food
(15-30-15) or is that an orchid sin?

I do know not to over feed! that is very bad!
but what about under feeding?

any help for my pretties?

also any kind of tip for a newbie will be appreciated.