Old 22-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Kenni Judd

Default Any tips? - Preparing plants for shows

Diana: You are not old enough to remember the stone age. Neither am I, but
my grandmother has told me stories G.

I am glad that all you came home with that time was ants, I have come home
from shows with worse on my exhibit specimens. It's not a problem I've had
at the PSL show -- that's a good one, you guys provide proper "care and
feeding" for your growers G, and my ex. there contacts only those of
other professional growers. I'm looking forward to that one, and to seeing
you there.

The "inspector" job is a tough one, and not every OS has a willing member
with (1) the skills, (2) the tact, and (3) the "brass" to handle it ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
link.net...
And do also recognize the reciprocal risk, if there is no inspector --

the
other novices may not have been as considerate as you :(

You said a mouthful in that last sentence, Kenni. The very first time I
lent an orchid for a display (in the stone age, when I knew nothing!) my
pristine plant came home so loaded with ants that I had to put it in a
plastic bag to protect the car from infestation. Thankfully, just ants.

Of
course, these days I'm much more involved (now I chair the society's
displays, at least for the moment), and I keep a close eye for problems.

few months ago an experienced grower brought a gorgeous Catt; without my
glasses I could see tracks in the flowers. With my glasses, I saw the
thrips.

Someone really should be watching, though as you say, that's not always

the
case.

See you in PSL next month.

Diana