Old 22-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default help with lonicera , hydrangea, jasminum climbers

In article m,
Tiger303 wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
*In L. x tellmanniana is lovely, but is a martyr to greenfly when
not in full sun. Don't ask me why, but they are bad enough
to stop its flowers opening. Note that it does NOT shoot from
very old wood or the base, unlike the common L. japonica.

thanks Nick, it will be in the sunniest position in the garden, but as
i live in the city it will only get full sun in the afternoon as sun
comes over the house for a good few hours before disappering over next
set of houses.

have u had any success spraying tellanniana against greenfly or would
you recommend some other solution

The solution I recommend is one of soft soap, or washing up liquid
with a splash of meths (diluted)! Generally, in full sun, I don't
have to. But I find that the organic solutions are at least as
effective against greenfly as the systemic synthetic ones. If it
is grown facing north, I find that its shoots and bugs need spraying
twive a week.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.