Old 22-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Lee and Kath

Default Plants for containers

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:00:08 +0000, P wrote:

If you can provide shelter on the windward side for the Japanese maples you will be OK. Mine get
some exposure to North and east winds but I have a larger shrub on the North side and a an open
trellis on the east, with honeysuckle. You could also move the container in winter to a more
sheltered spot.
I also have a Japanese cherry - Kojo-no-mai which is well worth having.

Regards
Kath

Hi Kath

Which variety of maple to you have? Has it grown successfuly in a
container?

Dissectum atropurpureum. It has been around for at least 6 years (I forget just how long.)
I have not repotted yet, but done a top-dress of new ericaceous compost, and the very occasional
feed with Phostrogen acid-lovers fertilizer. It is in a 12" pot, and has grown well, if the usual
snails pace for these. Gorgeous in Autumn!

Kath