Old 22-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Annelies

Default replacing old fence

Not much seems to be the answer, though it does depend a bit on where you
live. Could your climate take e.g. Clematis armandii? Even then, it's
pushing it. Russian vine is all that came immediately to mind but then

only
if it can't out-thug something else. The problem is the boundary being
chain link - it it was a wall, some t othe prettier ivies would be
possible....

I know. There is absolutely nothing though, just shrubs and low trees at the
west side of the chain link......
We live in Lincolnshire and we have also been wondering about the Russian
vine - but its vigour makes me careful. Is that the same plant as Fallopia
aubertii (not sure how common that one is here but it is almost a weed in
Holland)?
Also thought about Humulus lupulus - more attractive but that would leave us
'bare' in winter. Another possibility we wondered about is the Clematis
montana group........

Annelies

---