Old 22-02-2004, 11:32 PM
David Hare-Scott

Default Help with rubber plant

"Steve Sinor" wrote in message
om...
I have a rubber plant that is growing great. I would like to take some of
it and plant it in other places in the yard. Does anyone know how to

start
new plants from the original one?

Growing in Florida

How big is your yard? How much of it would you like to be left in 10 years
time?

They can grow to over 30ft high and wider than that. Under suitable
conditions a handful of ficus elastica would dominate a large amount of a
suburban block and run roots under the buildings and fences in a few years.
The branches can become very heavy but not especially strong making them
great roof and garden wreckers. Your neighbours may be sharing your joy,
whether they want to or not. In Florida I would be afraid, very afraid.

If you are determined to proceed a tip cutting of about 8-12 inches will
root easily in the growing season. The parent tree will probably bush out
from where you take the cutting, thus improving it too. You can also layer
them quite easily.

David