Old 23-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Trish Brown

Default Rod's Backyard was Cats etc

Rod Out back wrote:

snip

I had an interesting 'Episode' with Mrs Psycho this morning.....

snipped intriguing story of Mme Psycho Frog and Rod's finger

Pppppbbblllftt! You should've warned me! I spat coffee...!

We did have a fossil expert here living in the other homestead for a few
years. He was very informative, and did a lot of assessments of what fossil
were in the area.

The inland sea aspect would be fascinating! Fancy finding ammonites in the
Outback!

I do have pics of most of the animals described

I went and had a look at the Frogoli family pics (thank you!) - I have *never*
seen such hilarious photos of frogs before! This is the sort of thing that
captures the imagination and gives a face to the conservation movement (don't
you think?) Can't wait to see more pics from you! (Got'n'y birds of prey?)

Sadly, most kids in Oz never *see* a Green Tree Frog, let alone realise they
have funny habits and are worth watching. Belatedly, we're starting to educate
them (the kids, not the frogs) in schools, but I think your point (in another
post) about owning field guides is well made! Any kid can look up a picture in a
book - it doesn't need brilliant reading skills - and can have the satisfaction
of a) having figured out what he saw and b) knowing he's seen something special
and worth taking care of. It's a shame that so many of us seem more occupied in
giving the kids the latest electronic game - I often think a pair of binoculars
would do them more good!

I also take your point about people confusing native with introduced species!
I've been stunned to find how many people living in my street have no idea of
the difference between Indian Mynahs and Noisy Miners!!! AND - the family down
the road *rewarded* their cat for killing a Noisy Miner because it was 'one of
those bl**dy pests!' How can that be?

I heard a useful tip about snails the other day! (This is good, because it
doesn't pose a threat to the Blue Tongues!) Scatter el cheapo kitty litter about
your snail-prone plants - it makes a bit of a mulch and deters snails because of
its dessicant properties. I haven't tried it yet, but will - snails are munching
on my tuberous begonias and my Sydney Rock Lilies!

Thanks again for the pics, Rod! :-D
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia