Old 23-02-2004, 12:40 PM
SugarChile

Default Severe pruning of old yews?

Well, you're in luck. Yews are unusual in that they will send up new growth
from old wood (unlike, for example, junipers). I would not recommend,
however, taking them back all at once. You will need to do the work in
stages. I would plan on taking three or four years for it. Cut back half
of the branches on one side the first year, the other half the next, then do
the other side.

I would also top dress the soil around them with compost and mulch, and make
sure they stay watered if you experience dry weather--established yews are
fairly drought tolerant, but you will be asking a lot of them in terms of
new growth.

I have done this successfully with twenty year old yews. It took a while
for them to fill back in, but they look great now.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"Tony" wrote in message
om...
I have a row of large, old (best estimate if 50 years) yews in my
backyard that I would like to try and revitalize. They were not
tended well for quite some time before I bought the house and they now
are nothing more than a thin green crown and all wood underneath.
There's almost no green on the sides.

What I'm wondering is if they would survive an almost complete cutback
and break wood. Or, if it's even worth the time to try. I would
still like to have a hedge there to screen my neighbor's yard.

Unfortunately, I do not know the exact variety of these shrubs. Only
that they are yews. Any information or suggestions would be useful.

Thanks