Old 23-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Frogleg

Default The case of the shrinking planters

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:38:33 GMT, "Laurie"
wrote:

[Planters] are 5 years old now and the soil level has
dropped enough that I want to raise it. But I have a lot of perennials like
lavender, daisies, etc that were cut back properly and still live here and
there in the planters. In the past, I would buy mainly annuals to supplement
the resident perennials. So, experts....what would be the best way for me to
raise the soil level without just uprooting everything and starting all
over?

David's advice is probably best for a thorough job. OTOH, being on the
lazy side, I would probably try gradually adding soil, compost, etc.
all *around* the plants and in any visible dips. Not enough to *drown*
the plants, but just to encourage them to hitch up a bit. I would not
just dump in a bunch of dirt and hope for the best.