Old 23-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] bored

Adam,

My turn to chime in here. Most of us, who have been working this hobby a while have seen many of our trees die, for reasons known and unknown. It's part of the learning curve. Being busy and over busy is part of our culture now. Squeezing in time -forc
ing ourselves to MAKE the time- for our trees is one of the things many of us face. I just celebrated the 29th anniversary of my 21st birthday yesterday, so perhaps being an -old guy- makes this hard to relate, but I also have a teenage daughter and a 10
year old son. I've been juggling bonsai and family over the last 20+ years. It can be done.

I agree with Nina about your local club. If someone told ME they couldn't find trees to work besides those you listed I'd nut up, and tell them to get over to my house and I'd let them choose from any potensai they want, and I've got LOTS to choose from.
I love it when someone young enough (like you) to live with a tree (or trees) is interested in bonsai and would do all I could to encourage and help them.

I have a hard time still with some time management. Where I am it's now spring. The almond and apricot blossoms are out, peaches in the popcorn stage, and I've got bud swell going on, on too many trees to work. It's also baseball season (I coach at the
local high school, and little league) which consumes over 5 hours daily of physical time, and several more in -head- time. Some things don't get done to my trees in a timely manor. Oh well.

Four years ago I posted this message to this list in answer to a newbies question about what bonsai is:

It's all that, and more. It's frame of mind, it's the never finished
painting, growth, death, rebirth, success, failure, joy, disappointment, and
much, much more.

I still believe it. Be at ease and do what's right for you, bonsai and it's joys will still be here when you are ready again.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9