Old 23-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] bored

Adam,

As you can see there are many ways of doing bonsai and
having a life. Deciding to take a break instead of
quit, is one option.

I think I have belonged to clubs like the one in your
area, where new members are given a trial by fire to
see if they will be acceptable to the club's criteria.
These clubs are dying because of lack of new members.

I had a hard time starting bonsai. My son aged 7 at
the time wanted to learn. He was teacher's pet. so
some of the older club members put him down at every
turn instead of encoraging him. My son has a good
eye, but hadn't yet learned the rules. Rude comments
like perhaps he would gain a true apprieciation of
bonsai after he grew up or that if he didn't obey
rules, he would never be any good, etc.

There are suitable one gallon trees at your local
nursery that would be a good, cheap way to start.
Most nurseries have japanese maples, crabapples, and
some junipers (procumbens, hollywood, etc.) you can
use.

Lastly, something you have as your own and love to do
will save your saity during these times. There is the
concept that we are all creative beings and all need
to do something creative to survive.

I started bonsai at 35, I am now 63. I have had on
and off periods. When I worked full time, had a
teanager at home, and was going for my masters, I
thought I had to quit hobbies. I became very
irritable. The only thing that calmed me was going
out there and pinching my trees.

Regards,

Kitsune Miko