Old 23-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Tanya

Default what to do with long roots

Susan Erickson wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:37:47 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Tanya,

If they are that long, go ahead and snip away. Remember to use a sterile
tool for this (a fresh, single-edged razor blade for each plant is fine and
convenient), and to treat the cut ends to prevent disease. I usually spray
with peroxide and then dust with cinnamon.

Diana

Tanya & Diana -
I have to disagree. Never cut a root unless there is NO other
way to live with the plant or it is damaged or rotted.

Having said that. IF you have to convince roots into a pot or
basket, soak them for over 15 min. in a bucket of clean water.
They will be come pliable. The same works if you have to get
them out of an old pot. Although if you can sacrifice the pot -
breaking an old pot will cause the roots to loosen faster than a
good soak.

But someone suggested that arial roots be left to roam. I agree.
I have never found them to be happy if forced into a pot.
SuE

thank you, SuE
i'm preparing to keep the good (long) roots so will not plan the new pot sizes
based on them.(basically was wondering how large the new pots should be)
i'll soak them as per your suggestion and see what amount will fit into the new
pots (easily) and let the rest stay out of the pots
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya