Old 23-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Leon Fisk

Default sunflower seeds

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:50:10 -0800, Father Haskell
wrote:

Which strains are used for black oil or gray stripe sunflower seeds as
sold for bird seed? What heights can I expect from planting either
variety?

I don't know what the commercial growers use, but the stuff
you get in 50 lb bags for bird seed will grow just fine. I
won't win any awards with this website, but take a look if
your interested in a few images of Black Oilers.

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/

Last year I had one plant that zoomed to 14 feet (used a
stiff tape measure, no guessing). Most common is about 6-8
feet though. Single or multiple heads.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b