Old 24-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Sacha

Default evergreen climber

Paul23/2/04 8:49

I would like to grow a climber up the south facing wall of my house to add
some character. I would like it to preferably be an evergreen and grown
quite fast. Any Idea's ?

Thanks

Paul

If you're prepared to use something to train it, I'd suggest Clematis
armandii if you live in a mild area; Holboellia latiflora has gone down to
-7 with us. Wisteria looks wonderful and will start to flower when young if
a grafted plant is bought. But it won't cover your house wall fast and it
isn't evergreen.
If you don't want to use wires, I think you might have to think in terms of
Hydrangea petiolaris (needs plenty of water) and isn't evergreen or perhaps
Hydrangea semannii which is.
We have Muehlenbeckia growing up one wall of our house and have been
impressed at its rate of growth but again that needs some help, and will
depend on where you live and what you want to look at.
Some of the ivies are absolutely lovely and grow fast once they get going.
Can you tell us the area in which you live because it does make quite a
difference.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk