Old 24-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default Identifying and pruning a tree.

The message
from "DavidL" contains these words:

I have a tree that needs a bit of pruning - it's a little bit big but looks
great when it flowers. I say a tree - I have no idea what else you would
call it!!

How can I identify it? And when I know that, what is the best way to treat
it??
The leaves are similar to leaves from an oak tree. The flowers are purple
and quite large - about 2" across maybe. The petals are 'floppy' if that
makes any sense - similar to those white flowers you get on the creeping
weeds - they twist as they unfurl. I also have another smaller tree of the
same type but with white flowers. The mature tree is about 8' tall, and
'flat' against a wall, spreading out fan shaped.

Boggle! Hibiscus syriacus? If so, I don't know how you prune them sorry.

If you go to the search engine www.google, click "images" on the row
above the box, write our ID suggestions in the box, click search, you'll
get pictures and can tell us if they match.

Janet.