Old 24-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Siberian gardening

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:15:40 -0000, Andy Hunt wrote:
Says that in 15 years' time, Britain will be "Siberian".

I wonder what the best fruit and veg to grow in your garden would be,

then -
stuff which would survive temperatures of -15C or more . . . ?

At least winter temperatures.... no problem.
Apples, pears, damsons. Redcurrants, blackberries.

Perhaps now would be a good time to start planning your alpine-arctic rock
gaerden.

OK, OK . . . I know you think it was a silly question. It's actually my job
in local government to look into these things, so perhaps I can be forgiven
some of my silliness.

But with a serious point: as you say, if most plants can survive the more
severe winter temperatures, they should be OK in hotter summers. I suppose
that many of these plants have evolved to cope with the extremes of
temperature which are already found in, say, the Mediterranean region.

Many climate-change-ologists say that with the coming changes, and
diminishing petrochemical resources, agriculture will be adversely affected.
It would seem from this that it will be not so much the plants and crops
themselves which will be affected, more the methods of large-scale
cultivation and harvesting, which can always be overcome.

Thanks again!

Andrew