Old 24-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default TOMATO Plants -- opinions wanted

Thomas Jacobs said:

I live in southern Wisconsin, and I'm trying to balance my tomato crop
this year. Every year, the cool weather closes in before my plants
have run their full course. This year, I want to include some
varieties that produce earlier. I want to make sure I'm picking
tomatoes that are easy to grow and have decent flavor.

Burpee (early varieties)

- Early Pick Hybrid
- Early Girl Hybrid
- Ensalada

Burpee's '4th of July' hybrid is very early, produces all season, and has a very
good flavor. The tomatoes are smallish but that's no problem for salads. They
don't crack and aren't prone to green shoulders. 'Stupice' is also very early, and
heirloom, and has maybe a *slightly* superior flavor. But it tends to decline in
production very dramatically as the summer goes on plus it develops green
shoulders.

'Grigori's Altai' is pretty early for a slicer, tastey and productive.
I also like 'Odoriko' and 'Dona' as even-a-bit-later-in-the-season slicers.

As for varieties even later than these, I've given up on that heartbreak. 8^)

For sauces, go with sauce tomatoes. I like 'Classica' and 'Tuscany' for that.
(Determinate varieties that are easy to grow caged.) 'San Marzano' and 'Polish'
varieties are classic varieties of sauce tomatoes but are vigorous, indeterminate
vines without concentrated fruit-set.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/ (For everything but '4th of July' and 'Tuscany')

(attributed to Don Marti)