Old 24-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Nick Wagg

Default Siberian gardening

Andy Hunt wrote:

Says that in 15 years' time, Britain will be "Siberian".

It doesnt do anything of the sort of course, but the press have
misrepresented it consistently as a prediction. It was actually a scenario
they set up that said 'IF the climate changes to this point, what would

the
economic, social and therefore military consequences be?'. That is a long
way from predicting that the change will occur.

BTW, IIRC their scenario was set 50 years in the future not 15. And our
climate wouldnt be Siberian either, since as we are told the Gulf Stream
keeps us warm in winter but cooler in summer, the shutting dwn of the GS
would mean colder winters, but also hotter summers. So the fruit and veg
would be more mediterranean I'd have thought, but nothing you'd want to
overwinter.

More like Newfoundland, which is at roughly the same latitude on the
other side of the Atlantic. Not Siberian but not Mediterranean either.
--
Nick Wagg