Old 24-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default A really tall sedum

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
I grow most of those - the Achillea comes closest in terms of shape and a
hint of winter interest, but it just isn't tall enough. Agastache doesn't
survive here (the only people I know that have any luck with it either let
it reseed it self or it is sheltered).

I want TALL - 4 foot plus and some hint of four season interest -
interesting foliage, color, seed heads.

Thank you for you thoughts,
Cheryl

Cheryl, you are just not going to get a full 4 seasons of interest from a
perennial, unless it is an evergreen one and I can't think of any that would
reach the size you want. Certainly, some form of shrub could work for you,
but I'd consider a late season tall growing perennial. Rudbeckia maxima will
reach an impressive height and offers the same bright yellow coneflowers and
seedheads into autumn and winter that its shorter cousin does. Eupatorium
maculatum 'Gateway' is another good choce or any of the perennial sunflowers
or Helenium. All are great in combination with grasses and enjoy the same
conditions. All hardy to at least zone 4.

pam - gardengal