Old 24-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Ciment Fondu

Hi Doug.

You write RE' Ciment Fondue manufacturer irep' in Virginia:
We ship most Fondu directly from our
plant in VA in minimum pallet quantities.

This stuff is also made & used in Canada:
http://www.lafargecorp.com/cmtp cfd.htm

Here's the Virginia site for data, which notes the smallest packaging is 94
pound bags:
http://www.lcainc.com/fondu.html

.... & on Secar products, that someone mentioned:
http://www.lcainc.com/product.html

My club (in Richmond VA) purchased it with help from local bonsai
enthusiasts in Chesapeake VA (admittedly several years ago) & picked-up the
bags we needed. The Ciment Fondue is HEAVY, of course, and latex molds are
very expensive to make even you already have a good stone as a mold. If you
can borrow molds (we did), it is a godsend.

Bonsai vendors can't assume there is a market for ciment fondue because the
molds are REALLY expensive to make. Vendors also realize purchasers at
bonsai conventions often don't have the option of carting an extra 94 pound
bag of cement in their luggage. [Though I'd like to hear the story of
getting that powder through airport security... :-)...]

This isn't a project for one person creating slabs for their personal
collection.

It sounds to me that a friend might be need in Virginia Bonsai Society
(Norfolk VA-- near Chesapeake) to scope alternatives. VBS has a website
with contact information for their president Ronnie Baum
http://www.vafgs.org/virginia_bonsai_society.htm. Ronnie is a great guy!

With enough interests (and likely a prepaid order), some Ciment Fondue could
wind its way to this year's bonsai convention in St. Louis or at next year's
World Bonsai Convention in Washington DC... or to any other site someone in
the bonsai community is trucking material.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++