Old 24-02-2004, 06:44 PM
The Watcher

Default Is organic gardening viable?

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:50:20 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

(snip)
It's your own fault. You introduced the transportation issue. :-)
You're advising the previous poster to spend a couple of days a week
chasing around to restaurants and race tracks to find and transport
large-volume materials to replace a couple of bags of the chemical
nutrients plants require?

I don't understand why 'artificial' fertilizers have such vociferous
opponents. AFAIK, plants don't care whether their nitrogen and
phosphorous comes from cowpats or granules.

That's still being investigated. It's been claimed that our bodies don't absorb
nutrients from pills the same way they absorb nutrients from food. I've seen
many organic advocates make the same claim about plants.

The previous poster is looking at real-life issues, and doubtless
already uses all the 'organic' processes he can manage. *His*
cost/benefit analysis appears to have come down on the side of
manufactured fertilizer. Makes sense to me. He's not talking about
wholesale DDT spraying, or lowering the water table to keep his
golfcourse green.