Old 24-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Charles

Default MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:31:56 -0600, "Jay Adair"
wrote:

(Mag Drive 2400 gph pump, 600 gallon pond, 50 gallon filter, 7 feet of
lift....approx. turn-over once / hour)

Well, I opened it and pulled out the impeller....the surface of the impeller
has lost some of the coating and the bits of the coating seem to have gotten
between the impeller and the surrounding magnets and grooved the remaining
surface of the impeller....in short, it appears shot......

.....so......spend $30 for a replacement impeller for what turns out to be a
3 year old pump, or spring for $145 for a new pump.....

Anybody done the impeller swap? Longetivity of repair?

"Jay Adair" wrote in message
After 2 years of perfect operation, my Magdrive pump just started tripping
the GFI after 20 seconds of operation. Resetting the GFI and plugging the
pump back in only gets another 20 seconds....

The intake opening of the pump is clear, but I haven't opened the case to
check the impeller for blockage yet. Is this about normal life....time to
replace the pump if impeller is clear?

Thanks for any input,

Jay

Plug it in without the impeller. If it still trips, then a new
impeller will do no good, except to be a spare.

--

- Charles
-