Old 24-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Tim Challenger

Default Siberian gardening

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:12:02 -0000, Andy Hunt wrote:

But with a serious point: as you say, if most plants can survive the more
severe winter temperatures, they should be OK in hotter summers. I suppose
that many of these plants have evolved to cope with the extremes of
temperature which are already found in, say, the Mediterranean region.

Perhaps crops that are now happy halfway up mountains. Say, tea and rice,
most things that grow in the Alps - that is, most things that already grow
in the UK. The mediterranian crops do like it hot, sure, but an olive tree
is done for if it freezes to much.
How about grapes? Likes hot summers and is totally hardy. (they do pretty
well on the slopes of southern Switzerland and Austria). Perhaps British
red wines will become the new Austrailian Shiraz.... :-) I'll drink to
that.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.