Old 24-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Cabbage Palms

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "mark EVANS" contains these words:

Just a quickkie,

I have two very large cabbage palms in my garden which to be honst have

now
got too big (15-16 feet high) for my little garden.
I dont want to simply cut them down so, could anyone give them a loving
home?

They'd probably need a crane to move the huge root systems :-)

If you want to keep the plants you can easily reduce them to a more
appropriate size. Cut the tops off, cut the trunks to ground level and
they will make new sheaves of leaves. Or, you could cut one to ground
level and leave the other one a stem a few feet high.

Janet.

I agree with Janet, there is no way you will be able to remove them (they
will keep regrowing from the deep roots) so a cut back to restore them to a
smaller size would work well.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk