Old 25-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Dick Zielinski

Default John Deere 140 Tractor Is it worth it?

On 24 Feb 2004 06:29:32 -0800, (Adam)
wrote:

I think it was Adam that started this thread...

I owned the 140... back in about the early seventies sounds about
right. It was a great lawn tractor. And don't worry about the 14 hp.
that's not what runs the tractor and has nothing to do with the power.
The engine only runs the hydrolytic pump for the transmission which
runs the tractor. As you need more power, the pump just keeps a
pumping. Which, by the way, you always want to run the engine fully
open... if not you'll burn out the pump.

Back then we had an old pickup truck that often needed to be push
started... We always kept the blade on the 140... and we were able to
start the old truck... no problem. That tractor was a real work horse.

From there we moved up to the 315. Which was ok but that was about
all. Traded that in for a 425. Now that is a piece of equipment. Built
like a tank, good engineering... do anything you asked of it.

Last fall I traded up to the X485... Damn my butt... what a piece of
junk. JD really went down hill this year. What I wouldn't give to have
my 425 back.

I would suggest that you look again at the 140. Check with the dealer
about the snow blower. One thing JD has always been good for, is parts
for old tractors.

And it doesn't matter if you buy your JD at Home depot or the
dealer... Same piece of equipment. It's just that it seems that JD had
to compete and they really dropped the quality.

Dick

Thanks for the help guys. Is the $1799.00 Price you quoted a sale
deal, or is it the retail price? I understand where you are coming
from. If I just buy the snow thrower from him will it fit on this new
one if I buy it?
Thanks,
Adam

"Bob Provencher" wrote in message ...
"KCnRichmond" wrote in message
Brand new JD L-110 is $1799.00 w/2 year warranty, 17.5 hp Kohler, 46"

deck,
Hydrostat, w/cruise control, spin on oil filter, automotive style

adjustable
seat, fuel sight gage, hr. meter., deep domed double dipped deck, 18"
turning radius, Dana rear end, will operate snow thrower on front also,
Rated in top 3 in consumer reports.....Go the distance....No interest, no
payments till 2005 at Home
On the other note, guy has something for sale because he moved? Tractor
poops out in 15 days, no recourse??? Hmmmm...Not so good deal?

To be fair you'd have to include the price of the snow blower in the above
since that is included in his $950 price.

I agree the engine sounds a little lite for that deck. I run the LX173 15hp
with a 42" deck and it has trouble going through thick grass.

On a side note if I was going to buy a brand new mower I'd look at ZTR's
unless I planned on other attachments or towing a cart.